Early in 1955, a group of people decided it was time to start a church in the Glendora-North Covina area where they lived. Under the direction of Arnold Pearson, Frank Johnson and Roy Plummer, services were begun in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Boyd. On July 24, 1955, Grace was officially organized at a meeting in Glendora’s Recreational Park. Quick expansion of the congregation forced Grace into finding larger quarters. In September of 1955, the first baptismal was held in a neighboring church in West Covina. By October 9, 1955 a Constitution was adopted and in the same month the church began to search for a permanent place to settle. The Lord blessed this venture of faith by this small group and gave us our present property at 1515 S. Glendora Ave in Glendora.
On December 29, 1955, Arnold Pearson was ordained as the first pastor of Grace Baptist Church. The actual building of the Sanctuary (now called the Worship Arts Center) started on September 11, 1956. Grace’s first Vacation Bible was held in August of 1956. The church grew by leaps and bounds, with the addition of Sunday Schools, Missions Conferences and the Pioneer Girls program.
In October 1965, we broke ground on a larger sanctuary which would seat about 800. In October 1966, we dedicated the new building (now called Building A). Business records show that between 1955 to 1969, Grace grew from 18 to 325 regular attenders.
In 1983, Grace Church became a multi-lingual church with the addition of a Spanish language service under the leadership of Pastor Lew Whittle. This service quickly grew in attendees.
Grace Church has had 8 Senior Pastors since 1955. Pastor John Dix became our Lead Pastor in 2010.
Since 1987, Grace Church of Glendora has functioned under a singular purpose: “We exist to glorify God by developing committed followers of Jesus Christ who attracts others to Him.”
We would love for you to be part of our story here at Grace Church of Glendora.